Monday, June 20, 2005

Sharing the spirit of Ubuntu...

"Humanity for others", that is what the ancient African word "Ubuntu" means. With the unfussy catchphrase "Linux for human beings," Canonical has hit the nail right in the head when it comes to bringing out a totally new and exciting user experience. And to say that the user interface is the best of the (Linux) lot, is totally a mortifying understatement (m_p_o).

I just received my Ubuntu CDs from Canonical this afternoon. Each package (total of 15) contains two CDs, one install CD and one live CD, and comes in a nifty packaging. I have distributed about 6 packages to my colleagues as my own little way of spreading the OSS message. My colleague Joel even claims that the Live CD interface puts Knoppix to shame (j_p_o). And coming from a Knoppix-loving, Nagios-using, Linux-zealot, WRX-driving chap, then there must be a tinge of truth in it *laughs*.

I am an open-source believer. I believe that the common tao should not be hindered from having access to the 1's and 0's of the digital world. Software license costs, if not totally free for normal home users, should not be steeply priced. Juan dela Cruz would rather bring galunggong to the dinner table for his family than bear the cost of one proprietary OS license.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Kates said...

I'm sorry to say that I'm quite unimpressed by Ubuntu. The livecd did not manage to boot on my laptop and desktop pcs. The livecd should be easy to boot without too much tweaking. I'm more satisfied with my Damn Small Linux livecd which boots on all the machine I've tried it so far.

5:46 AM  
Blogger Badz said...

I am not also quite sold to the idea of Ubuntu livecd as the best (livecd) there is. Truth is, I'm more of a Helix fan. I really haven't used DSL so I cannot comment on it.

Thanks for your comment.

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home